Sunday, January 11, 2009

Linkedin, Best and worst Jobs, HBR, Google.

I was checking the linkedin sites over the weekend answering some of the open questions when I found some cool add on features worth adding in to your linkedin home page.
a) Reading list by Amazon, you can find out what people in your network are reading or the books you/ others would like to read. So a chance to know the books that are popular or a must read. Of course, there are other platforms like Shelfari which helps you to know the best books in network, but this helps over a sizable size network.
b) Boxnet you can share your work for edit/view/ comment or let your network people read some of the files. Good file sharing site.
c) Bloglink helps you connect all the blog pages of your network in one page to browse thro.
Good stuff on colloboration which is the key these days.!!!.

Came across intersting article in the Wall street journal on the best and worst of the jobs. Mathematicican is number 1 and Lumberjack at 200. The safety, rewards, scope are all covered. I was looking for Health and safety manager (my profession) was ranked at 89, Not bad!!!!

I was delighted to see in my snail mail, the Harvard business training programs offering in India from the Harvard Research centre here. This was a dream once to many Indians. The travel cost to attend programs will be a great saver. I hope I get a chance to participate in some program in future. But the great feeling is as they say Mountain has come to Mohammed.

I have installed new google themes of save the children, Action against hunger, Doctors without frontiers etc to my google home page tabs. They are great to remind you of the issues that exist in the world.

I look forward to celebrating the harverst festival of Pongal this week (Our thanksgiving). The summer officially starts here as the sun starts its journey back to tropic of cancer. This is also the month when the very old elderly wish they reach the heavenly abode.(As happened to my grandparents aged 97 and 90 on Jan 25th and Feb 3rd).

Till next week, take it easy and take care; Live conciously.
Regards
Karthik.

No comments: